iAccelerate Pitch Program provides the opportunity for iAccelerate Startups to learn the art of pitching. To practice, polish and ultimately pitch their innovative business idea to a panel of investors and experts.
We think Guy Kawasaki sums it up well:
"The purpose of a pitch is to stimulate interest, not to cover every aspect of your startup and bludgeon your audience into submission. Your objective is to generate enough interest to get a second meeting.
Thus, the recommended number of slides for a pitch is ten. This impossibly low number forces you to concentrate on the absolute essentials. You can add a few more, but you should never exceed fifteen slides – the more slides you need, the less compelling your idea."
iAccelerate Pitch provides an opportunity for local, national and international investors and wider business community to engage with the startups in the University of Wollongong’s iAccelerate Centre.
The program consists of peer to peer and panel pitching opportunities, professional presentation training, mentor matching and a final pitching event to industry experts and potential investors.
iAccelerate Pitch Training 2018
How it works and Key Dates:
Current iAccelerate residents are encouraged to participate in iAccelerate Pitch Training 2018. Join-in with the lead-up pitching events listed below and get your pitch on. This is your opportunity to get feedback from your peers and invited industry experts and investors on the lead up to the final and get the practice that makes all successful pitches great.
Lead up Pitching Events
- Thursday 31 May - Pitch Briefing Session
- Thursday 7 June - Pitch Training with
- Friday 15 June – Pitch to Peer Session 1
- Thursday 21 June - Pitch to Panel Session 1
- Monday 25 June – Pitch to Peer Session 2
- Thursday 28 June - Pitch to Panel and iAccelerate Community
- Thursday 19 July - Pitch FINAL Competition
Meet your 2018 Panellists - TBC
Panel 1: 21 June
Associate Professor Robert Gorkin: Researcher in Residence, iAccelerate
Jess Milne: Creative Director and Co-Founder, TEN ALPHAS
Professor Heather Yeatman: Head, School of Health & Society, University of Wollongong
Nick Hartgerink: Director, Hartgerink Media Services
Leo Rocker: Co-Founder, Quirky Kid
Associate Professor Grace McCarthy: Dean, Sydney Business School
David Peters: Executive Head, Mahindra Comviva
During the pitching process participants have the opportunity for additional mentoring to be provided from our mentor network. This is also provided through the pitching sessions with iAccelerate Peer Companies and Expert Panel participants.
Here are some links to some useful pitching information.
- Some interesting insight to the pitching process from Anthony Marcar (Grabble Founder, UOW Alumni and iAccelerate Mentor)
- Guy Kawasaki’s 10/20/30 rule to make a great pitch (although you only have 3 minutes to pitch, Guy has some great advice!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8EQPpA4DM
- 5 Quick Tips on Pitching Angel Investors and VC’s – http://www.instigatorblog.com/5-quick-tips-on-pitching/2008/05/14/
- 500 Startups: VC Pitch Advice from Dave McClure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSYuUGZzas
- Guy Kawasaki’s Top 10 Rules for Success - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYv4W2IUNs0
- Strategyzer Youtube Videos - Episode 6 is great for pitching!
Here are some presentation templates that we think work really well and can help you get a start on your presentation by using these structures to building your an awesome pitch deck. Click to download directly from Dropbox.
Interested in sponsoring iAccelerate Pitch 2017? Sponsorship opportunities are now available. Download the Pitch Sponsorship Brochure here.
Previous iAccelerate Pitch
View past winners, finalists, judges, the full photo gallery and official program