iAccelerate Pitch Program provides the opportunity for iAccelerate Startups to learn the art of pitching. To practice, polish and ultimately pitch their innovative business idea to a panel of investors and experts.
We think Guy Kawasaki sums it up well:
"The purpose of a pitch is to stimulate interest, not to cover every aspect of your startup and bludgeon your audience into submission. Your objective is to generate enough interest to get a second meeting.
Thus, the recommended number of slides for a pitch is ten. This impossibly low number forces you to concentrate on the absolute essentials. You can add a few more, but you should never exceed fifteen slides – the more slides you need, the less compelling your idea."
iAccelerate Pitch provides an opportunity for local, national and international investors and wider business community to engage with the startups in the University of Wollongong’s iAccelerate Centre.
The program consists of peer to peer and panel pitching opportunities, professional presentation training, mentor matching and a final pitching event to industry experts and potential investors.
iAccelerate Pitch Training 2017
How it works and Key Dates:
Current iAccelerate residents are encouraged to participate in iAccelerate Pitch Training 2017. Join-in with the lead-up pitching events listed below and get your pitch on. This is your opportunity to get feedback from your peers and invited industry experts and investors on the lead up to the final and get the practice that makes all successful pitches great. This Pitch Training will prepare you for the major iAccelerate Pitch Program, held in October 2017.
Lead up Pitching Events
- 8th June - Pitch Briefing Session
- 15th June - Pitch to Peer Session
- 19th June - Pitch Training with Nick McNaughton
- 22nd June – Pitch to Panel Session
- 27th June – Pitch to Peer Session
- 29th June - Final Pitch Session/ Feedback/ Peer and Panel
- 5th July - Pitch FINAL
Meet your 2017 Panellists
Panel 1: 22nd June
During the pitching process participants have the opportunity for additional mentoring to be provided from our mentor network. This is also provided through the pitching sessions with iAccelerate Peer Companies and Expert Panel participants.
Here are some links to some useful pitching information.
- Some interesting insight to the pitching process from Anthony Marcar (Grabble Founder, UOW Alumni and iAccelerate Mentor)
- Guy Kawasaki’s 10/20/30 rule to make a great pitch (although you only have 3 minutes to pitch, Guy has some great advice!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8EQPpA4DM
- 5 Quick Tips on Pitching Angel Investors and VC’s – http://www.instigatorblog.com/5-quick-tips-on-pitching/2008/05/14/
- 500 Startups: VC Pitch Advice from Dave McClure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSYuUGZzas
- Guy Kawasaki’s Top 10 Rules for Success - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYv4W2IUNs0
- Strategyzer Youtube Videos - Episode 6 is great for pitching!
Here are some presentation templates that we think work really well and can help you get a start on your presentation by using these structures to building your an awesome pitch deck. Click to download directly from Dropbox.
Interested in sponsoring iAccelerate Pitch 2016? Sponsorship opportunities are now available. Download the Pitch Sponsorship Brochure here.
Previous iAccelerate Pitch
View past winners, finalists, judges, the full photo gallery and official program