iAccelerate Pitch Program provides the opportunity for iAccelerate Startups to learn the art of pitching. To practice, polish and ultimately pitch their innovative business idea to a panel of investors and experts.
We think Guy Kawasaki sums it up well:
"The purpose of a pitch is to stimulate interest, not to cover every aspect of your startup and bludgeon your audience into submission. Your objective is to generate enough interest to get a second meeting.
Thus, the recommended number of slides for a pitch is ten. This impossibly low number forces you to concentrate on the absolute essentials. You can add a few more, but you should never exceed fifteen slides – the more slides you need, the less compelling your idea."
iAccelerate Pitch provides an opportunity for local, national and international investors and wider business community to engage with the startups in the University of Wollongong’s iAccelerate Centre.
The program consists of peer to peer and panel pitching opportunities, professional presentation training, mentor matching and a final pitching event to industry experts and potential investors.
Congratulations to the iAccelerate Pitch 2016 Winners!
Read the full news story here.
View the the iAccelerate Pitch Grand Final Photo Album here.
Introducing the 2016 iAccelerate Pitch Finalists:
How it works and Key Dates:
Current iAccelerate residents are invited and encouraged to participate in iAccelerate Pitch 2016. Join-in with the lead-up pitching events listed below and get your pitch on. This is your opportunity to get feedback from your peers and invited industry experts and investors on the lead up to the final and get the practice that makes all successful pitches great.
Lead up Pitching Events
- 11th August - Peer
- 25th August – Panel
- 1st September – Peer
- 15 September – Panel
- 28th September – Panel
- 6th October – iAccelerate Community Pitch Selection for final
- 13th October – Peer – open to all
- 20th October – Peer – Only Selected Pitchers – their last practice run if they need it.
- 27th October – FINAL – Only Selected Pitchers
During the pitching process participants have the opportunity for additional mentoring to be provided from our mentor network. This is also provided through the pitching sessions with iAccelerate Peer Companies and Expert Panel participants.
Pitch Training – 21st and 22nd September
Presentation training is provided to participants in the lead-up to the final pitching plate event.
Nomination to Compete – 26th September
We require interested iAccelerate residents to self nominate to participate in the final. We will then hold a pitching competition for the iAccelerate community to choose who will go through to the final.
Pitching Selection by iA Community – 6th October
All nominated start-ups who want to participate in the final need to pitch to the iAccelerate community to be selected to participate in the final.
Final Pitching Event - 27th October 2016
Finalists pitch to an expert panel and room of investors and industry experts. This is an "invitation to pitch" only event. Finalists are chosen by self nomination and then via participants of iAccelerate Pitch and iAccelerate Staff members votes to choose a total of 5 – 6 pitches.
Here are some links to some useful pitching information.
- Some interesting insight to the pitching process from Anthony Marcar (Grabble Founder, UOW Alumni and iAccelerate Mentor)
- Guy Kawasaki’s 10/20/30 rule to make a great pitch (although you only have 3 minutes to pitch, Guy has some great advice!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8EQPpA4DM
- 5 Quick Tips on Pitching Angel Investors and VC’s – http://www.instigatorblog.com/5-quick-tips-on-pitching/2008/05/14/
- 500 Startups: VC Pitch Advice from Dave McClure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSYuUGZzas
- Guy Kawasaki’s Top 10 Rules for Success - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYv4W2IUNs0
- Strategyzer Youtube Videos - Episode 6 is great for pitching!
Here are some presentation templates that we think work really well and can help you get a start on your presentation by using these structures to building your an awesome pitch deck. Click to download directly from Dropbox.
Interested in sponsoring iAccelerate Pitch 2016? Sponsorship opportunities are now available. Download the Pitch Sponsorship Brochure here.
iAccelerate Pitch 2015
View past winners, finalists, judges, the full photo gallery and official program here.